Oakhurst Ca Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Poll
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ack... Ack...
What I do / don't like EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 8:44 pm by Red Mule

» Shall We Play A Game?
What I do / don't like EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 10:38 pm by deckroid

» Technical help
What I do / don't like EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 4:58 pm by Red Mule

» Next Time we have a game
What I do / don't like EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 11:36 pm by Petrock

» Planetsserver down?
What I do / don't like EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 6:09 pm by Baer

» What I do / don't like
What I do / don't like EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 5:52 pm by Petrock

» Happy Thoughts
What I do / don't like EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 11:51 pm by Petrock

» PAL build system
What I do / don't like EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 10:11 pm by Petrock

» Evolution - Letter to my Granddaughter
What I do / don't like EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 11:54 am by Red Mule

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

What I do / don't like

4 posters

Go down

What I do / don't like Empty What I do / don't like

Post  Admin Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:31 am

I can see that our vote on restarting could get off into other issues. Not that they don't relate to our opinions on that subject! But, I am starting this thread specifically for conversations on likes and dislikes of our game and host so we can keep that thread as closely coupled to the question of restart as possible.
-------------
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://oakhurstca.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What I do / don't like Empty Re: What I do / don't like

Post  Red Mule Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:02 am

I know Baer doesn't like Phost and also seems to dislike Linux. So, I want to post just a few comments.

Linux: That is what this web site and many others are hosted in. That Planetsserver Team wants to point out that "for web hosting" Linux has advantages, doesn't bother me. For visitors to a web site, it is a pretty transparent issue anyway. I haven't asked him, but the odds are that Ricki's web site is being run under Linux as well.

Phost: I know it has features that many like but others don't. We could have a game, for example, where we could select any race no matter what others have chosen. But, Phost does have a learning curve and if you don't want or need any of the extra features as most of our games do not, then Tim Host is just fine with me too.

Which Host: Just as a reminder... Sometimes Ricki gets too busy to start any new games, regular or custom. That's why I went out and found PS hosting. I was suffering withdrawals from game play. I am a big fan of Ricki's hosting. But, that doesn't mean I don't disagree with him from time to time.

I am in a custom game at his site now, that if you think this game is mineral rare, you haven't seen anything! Building anything bigger than a small freighter is pretty much a waste because there aren't enough minerals ANYWHERE to justify the fuel to haul it around. That's if you can find the fuel in the first place. That game may never reach max ship builds.

Why is that game such a mineral bare galaxy? Because Ricki decided that Vets playing in a custom game should have a greater challenge. Did we discuss it? NO. Did we vote on it? NO. Did we even know about it in advance? NO. Ricki decided and that was that.
I am playing under protest! Sad

PS Host: Did they crash? Yup. But Ricki has had such issues before too. Did they forget SB+. Yup. But, when I pointed it out to them, they got it fixed fairly soon. Did they use PAL ship priority for reasons unknown? Yup. But, if I start another game I'll know that I need to specify some things more carefully. I think PS Host deserves another chance. And, I really like the Game Master approach that puts game schedule and some other minor controls in the hands of one of the players.
Red Mule
Red Mule

Back to top Go down

Post  Baer Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:18 am

I personally do not give a crap about Linux or whatever they use. I know Linux and started to learm Unix at Bel Labs in the 70's. It is their attitude I do not like. If you disagree with them in their forums they get all huffy and get this fanboi attitude. They have their say and then shut down the thread . It is their site so they can do what they want but I do not have to go there. The only thing I like abouut their site is the turn upload with instant feedback. The fact is that their site failed and that they did not have the forethought to provide for proper disaster recovery. Not very impressive. I do not care how hard they are trying, they failed!
Yes, I hate PHost. There are a number of reasons I do not like it while admitting it has some good points. In any case, this is my last PHost game unless I have compelling reasons to play another one.
I do like Starbase plus as it is logical that a starbase would be able to do those things. Even today banks use e-transfer of funds, why would a futuristic civilization not be able to do that? I do think it is one of the few add ins that add to the game enough to be worth while.
I did not like that my area was set up to span the map edge, without SB+ at the beginning I had to carry funds a long way with impercise moves. I am now playing, not to win but just to play. I never drop out but if it were not for my commitment to play I would have. If the vote is to continue I will of course do so.
My choice is to restart, to ask Ricki to set it up, afterall he has done so before. Play with Timhost, sphere or whatever and SB+.
Baer
Baer

Back to top Go down

Post  Petrock Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:52 pm

Linux: Don't care so long as HOST runs.

Phost: This blows chunks....

Which Host: Don't care so long as HOST runs.

PS Host: Don't care so long as HOST runs.

Maps: I like the default map or a random one, I don't like "scenario" maps like war-rings or cluster-f**k

Other Add-ons: Don't really care I just like the game.

Puppies and kitties: I love puppies and kitties

"We're standing there pounding a dead parrot on the counter, and
the management response is to frantically swap in new counters to
see if that fixes the problem."

-- Peter Gutmann in alt.sysadmin.recovery
Petrock
Petrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down