Oakhurst Ca Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Poll
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ack... Ack...
Water in California EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 8:44 pm by Red Mule

» Shall We Play A Game?
Water in California EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 10:38 pm by deckroid

» Technical help
Water in California EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 4:58 pm by Red Mule

» Next Time we have a game
Water in California EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 11:36 pm by Petrock

» Planetsserver down?
Water in California EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 6:09 pm by Baer

» What I do / don't like
Water in California EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 5:52 pm by Petrock

» Happy Thoughts
Water in California EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 11:51 pm by Petrock

» PAL build system
Water in California EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 10:11 pm by Petrock

» Evolution - Letter to my Granddaughter
Water in California EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 11:54 am by Red Mule

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Water in California

2 posters

Go down

Water in California Empty Water in California

Post  MtnBreeze Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:45 am

I don't know the answer for California Farmers but the water situation in California will only coninue to get worse due to our high population and LACK of water in general in many areas of California. WE ship a great deal of water down south that could be used in farming if it wasn't now necesary to support a huge population. Environmental concerns are valid and everyone wants to blame fish but the fish are only a symbol...much like the owl was many years ago in the Old Growth forest debates. Even if they allow farmers to have the water this year....the chemicals used in farming help to further pollute both land and water. I support farmers...don't get me wrong but There simply is not enough water to continue to grow water needy crops. The Valley will support many crops during rainy season which could be one direction to take....and there are practices in growing that allow the need for less water during summer growing season, however they are more costly I'm sure. I still think farming is NOT the only issue here. Just my opinion
MtnBreeze
MtnBreeze

http://www.myspace.com/yosemitebreeze

Back to top Go down

Water in California Empty Re: Water in California

Post  Red Mule Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:07 am

Much of California was/is a desert which we have changed into cities and farms. Both require a lot of water.

If you look at this history of lawns, in ancient times whatever land you may have been lucky enough to own would have been immediately devoted to agriculture, which was part of making a living. After the industrial revolution they became status symbols. But, they require a LOT of water. Gas lawn mowers are also very polluting, but that is another issue.

Then, our life styles seem to require more more water these days. We take more water intensive showers and baths and use clean drinking water for gardens and toilets when we could be using gray water.

So, I think we could free up a lot of water for farming, either commercially or in our own front and back yards, if we just changed some of our wasteful habits.
Red Mule
Red Mule

Back to top Go down

Post  MtnBreeze Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Although I am a gardener I agree...I don't have a lawn and I water with drip as much as possible in other areas and use mulches and try to plant water conserving plants....it just isn't possible to keep our environment healthy and supply our growing cities and our farms with enough water. If we let the environment down then we will suffer quickly, because like it or not we need healthy environments to survive. I think you hit on a good one when you suggested eliminate lawns to conserve water and to help with pollution.
MtnBreeze
MtnBreeze

http://www.myspace.com/yosemitebreeze

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum